Saturday, May 28, 2005

Relighting flames

In past years I talked myself into despising writing. When I was younger I had the quote “writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead” attached to my mirror. But then I decided to change my mind…until I started a new writing course last September. The course is one of the best out there actually, and after I write, I send each paper to the man that wrote the course and he corrects it. The only problem is that he has this thing about making you write multiple papers on the same book. The first book I had to write on was The Call of the Wild. I wrote four papers on different aspects of it, and the last one I wrote, I was so sick of reviewing the book that he asked if I had even written an outline (hehehe). That amuses me to this day, because it was one of those papers that I felt really good about, but I had written it in only 2 hours because I was so sick of the topic. I guess it showed.
Today I finished my last essay on Tennyson’s Idylls of the King. Writing essays on his works are entirely different than Jack London’s. Thankfully Tennyson’s passion has relit the flame to write again.

Today at gym class there was a field day with games and contests you could do as well. One of them was a pudding eating contest. Caleb decided that he would like to try that one, so he lined up with the other kids and when they said “go” he started. Now you have to understand that Caleb is not a neat person by nature, but when it comes to being polite, he is very good at that. So as everyone else is gulping down their pudding, as soon as Caleb gets a dot of it on his nose he asks: “may I have a napkin please?” and once clean goes right on slowly licking his dishful. He fully enjoyed his pudding, while I think the others ended up with stomach aches. He finished last to say the least. :)

3 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Booker said...

Nice, a pudding eating contest. I can just see Caleb doing that...

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger brilynne said...

Wow...you were up late. I was wondering why you did gym and school on Saturday. So glad your paper's done. ONE WEEK TIL GRADUATION!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger drewey fern said...

KATHERINE! Tennyson is my absolute favorite!!! It makes me so happy that you like him, and that reading his poetry has rekindled your writing flame. Hurrah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home